Friday, October 9, 2009

NANCY'S BEEN TO THE FAIR

I did a crafts show on Thursday Oct 8, called the 9th Annual Women's Expo, held at a library in Centereach, on Long Island. Boy, did I have fun! Boy, was it exhausting! This was my first show, so I was nervous and spent a long time thinking about my set-up, and preparing for the event. To display my larger pieces, like the bedspreads, I bought a laundry drying rack so I could drape them without taking up a lot of table space.


GETTING READY - IRONING, SNIPPING THREADS, INSPECTION...





I arrived in good time. There were volunteers who helped unload my car and take my stuff to my space - I know! I think I was spoiled! I know this won't happen often. The Expo provided tables and plastic sheets to cover, and I started setting up.





This is my display. I draped one toile tablecloth over the front edge of the table to hide stuff under the table, and to catch eyes and show what my goods were about, and then arranged my items artistically, playing off colors and textures to maximize their effect.


A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER!!


MAY I HELP YOU? I sold this piece. Yippee!


WATER, WATER...I'M SO THIRSTY!!



END OF THE DAY...WHEW! I'M EXHAUSTED!!!

I did pretty well, sold several tablecloths, 2 mats, all the lavendar sachets and an apron. Made enough to cover the entry fee, plus a modest profit. I made new friends, and was invited to a couple of other shows. It was a great learning experience as well. I need more items for $30 - that seemed to be the high price point. And, I need a LOT of aprons. All the ladies of a "certain age" loved the one and only blue toile apron I had, and wanted other colors. The apron was my first sale. I have plenty of toile and other cotton prints, and must start sewing again to replenish my inventory. WHAT A GREAT TIME I HAD!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad yor experience wasw so good-many first-timers get discouraged and won't do a repeat-but I love fairs-I even go when I'm not selling-always great conversation with people of like-mindedness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! sounds like fun... I have been thinking about doing craft fairs but I am not sure I have the inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your craft fair. I too am about to embark on my first one next month, just a little nervous!!

    ReplyDelete